DIVISION: Virgin Valley Disposal
LOCATION: 501 Riverside Road
POSITION TYPE: Full-Time
EXEMPT STATUS: Non-Exempt
The Operator – Heavy Equipment is responsible for the safe operation of heavy equipment at a recycling facility, landfill or transfer station for the purpose of transferring, spreading, covering, loading and/or compacting waste or soil in an efficient and safe manner.
A Gate Attendant/Scale Operator is responsible for accurately and efficiently monitoring and recording waste volumes entering the post collection site, as well as collecting appropriate usage fees from customers.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
• Good customer services skills to meet and exceed customer expectations; acts in a professional, courteous and cooperative manner toward customers and co-workers; works with a sense of honesty and trustworthiness.
• Good time management skills to ensure assigned responsibilities are completed in an efficient and safe manner.
• Good follow through ability; ability to adhere to work schedule and follows through on challenges as they arise.
• Ability to adhere to Company policies and rules set forth; promotes the Company’s safety standards; does not take inappropriate risks.
• Maintains a feeling of pride in work; strives to achieve all goals.
• High School diploma or GED
• Two years’ prior related experience in heavy equipment operation.
• Experience in a previous position that required the handling of cash and balancing cash and/or receipts.
• Experience in an environment outside the home with computers and various software programs.
• Perform pre- and post-operation inspection of the equipment in accordance with Company policy to ensure windows, lights, mirrors are clean. Safely and efficiently operate equipment that may include: forklift, compactor, bulldozer, front-end loader and other equipment using proper safety standards.
• Continuously monitor waste for evidence of unacceptable waste in materials.
• Continuously monitor the condition of the equipment to ensure it is operationally ready at all times to minimize downtime; clean tracks or wheels on equipment, as needed.
• Perform and document minor service on equipment, referring more complicated mechanical issues to Maintenance Shop for repair.
• Complete Equipment Condition Report and other reports, as necessary; report any necessary repairs to supervisor, as needed.
• Follow all required safety policies and procedures.
• Ensure that equipment is clean, serviced and stored at the completion of each shift.
• Determine content of material entering facility to properly bill the customer.
• Accept or reject waste load based on content; suggest alternatives based on special waste, type of waste and/or local market training.
• Receive payment from customers; provide receipt to customers.
• Balance the daily receipts to ensure accurate recordkeeping and appropriate billing; deposit daily receipts into the safe depository.
• Document the waste entering the facility, utilizing truck scales and computer systems; track total amount of waste entering the facility.
• Perform other job-related duties as assigned. The statements used herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by an employee in this position, and are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties and skills required by an incumbent so classified. Furthermore, they do not establish a contract for employment and are subject to change at the discretion of the Company.
Non-exempt, Full time
REWARDING COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Eligible employees can elect to participate in:
• Comprehensive medical benefits coverage, dental plans etc.
• Health care and dependent accounts.
• Life insurance and accidental death & dismemberment insurance.
• Employee discount programs.
• Retirement plan with a generous company match.
Virgin Valley Disposal is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.